Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP) Program Trends
The information tabulated and presented shows the progression of Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP) health plan participation and SNP enrollment across the past decade – looking specifically at January of 2013, 2018, and 2023. By just about every measure, the SNP program has achieved tremendous growth. A few of the specific findings:
- The number of participating plans more than doubled from 2013 to 2023 (increasing 107%).
- SNP enrollment has more than tripled from 2013-2023.
- Dual eligible SNPs (D-SNPs) now serve 40% of the nation’s dual eligible population and hold 90% of all SNP enrollment.
- Over half of current SNP participating health plans have fewer than 1,000 SNP enrollees. The SNPs with more than 10,000 enrollees as of January 2023 represent 10% of SNPs but hold 65% of national SNP enrollment.
- Average enrollment per SNP was 4,079 in January 2023, 64% above the January 2013 average of 2,494.